September 12, 2009
I finally got around to seeing “The September Issue”, a documentary on the inner workings of producing and publishing the monthly Vogue. However, for those who are not familiar, the September issue of Vogue is generally the largest issue in weight and content that the magazine produces throughout the year. Why? “September is our January. The calendar start of the year for fashion.” While I’ve had a few bouts with the fashion world in the past, I’ve discounted 90% of the people who I’ve met as complete idiots, one shallower and stupider than the next. The Vogue documentary does a pretty decent job in clearing up a few misconceptions (either that or the remaining 10% of the fashion world who is actually somewhat intelligent, these people work at Vogue).
A few blunt observations, if I may:
- If Vogue were to blow up tomorrow, the fashion industry would be seriously screwed. It’s clear that Dame Anna Wintour has her aging hand in almost everything related to fashion and haute couture: from the runway shows, mentoring young designers, ‘attainable’ clothing outlets such as Gap and Macys, Ms. Wintour’s vision permeates every crevice of the fashion world. It’s extremely impressive yet daunting at the same time. I think there’s a word for this: Communism? I will give her credit though: she is a very effective leader and visionary. Like Stalin.
- Like all other viewers before me, I fell a little bit in love with Grace Coddington, Creative Director. She is an absolute genius and I’m glad she received her due credit. Watching her piece together photo shoots and storyboards was astounding. Her passion for style and art is truly inspiring and somewhat depressing knowing that I have never exuded any undying passion for anything as much as Grace exudes for fashion.
- Vogue is not full of pretty young things. I’m not sure if the director was attempting to portray this, but there are definitely some scary people running around in those sacred Vogue hallways. It might have to do with the fact that all the pretty young ones run off and marry bankers or blue bloods and become their ascent into society (Hi Tinsley Mortimer!) In any case, I’d be afraid to see some of those people after dark. Gaunt faces, sunken eyes, sallow skin..eek!
- Why is Andre Leon Talley relevant? He is a gentle giant and a very nice man, but what sort of value does he add to the magazine? And why can he afford all those designer duds? What am I missing here?
- Who was that putzy kiss ass running around in the white suit? In fact, why were all the straight guys in the film so douchey?
All in all, a nice way to spend a rainy evening. I will update this post as I remember other things. Hopefully back to some more of the analyst tale as I find some time to write something witty and coherent.